The Riverkeeper will:
- Advocate for the establishment of stronger surface water and groundwater withdrawal permitting through lobbying for amendments to current legislation.
- Create and maintain positive relationships with relevant agencies and officials to establish more efficient enforcement of current and future environmental laws and regulations.
- Establish public forums for education concerning threats to the watershed, garnering greater community and policymaker involvement in protecting the watershed.
- Organize and host community events to encourage recreation within the watershed in order to commission those who enjoy the watershed to also serve as watershed advocates within their communities.
- Serve as the main point of contact for citizen complaints or concerns regarding the watershed.
- Continuously work to identify and address threats to the Edisto River and it’s surrounding watershed, devising solutions through threat management plans and forecasting future threats.
- Forecast future threats and create future threat management plans to mitigate the risk of further damage to the watershed.
- Serve as the full time advocate and voice of the watershed and those living in the communities which it encompasses.
- Determine additional issues and tactics as needed to serve as the watchdog over the Edisto.